A brief description.
The Sisters of the Religious Missionaries of Saint Dominic founded the Dominican School on June 1957.
This initiative was a response to the need to provide Catholic education to the children who live near the University of Santo Tomas, particularly its employees. Under the leadership of Sister Jesus a Ibargoitia, the Superior of Saint Catalina Girls’ Dormitory and Sister Esperanza Melgar, the Secretary General, a two-room structure was constructed in May 1958. A month later, the school opened the kindergarten with seventy-nine (79) boys and girls as enrolees. It was named Saint Dominic’s Kindergarten School. The rooms were furnished with all the facilities for children to learn their ABCs and numbers.
Their skills in singing, drawing, and writing were also developed. To fulfil its
mission of providing sound Catholic education, its curriculum has religion at
its core with Christ as the centre.
Their devotion to Christ and the Blessed Virgin was awakened and strengthened through activities like participation in novenas and daily visits to the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel of Saint Catalina Girls’ Dormitory.
In 1963, this structure was demolished to give way to a two-story
concrete building that can accommodate pupils from kindergarten to grade four.
Some rooms in the girls’ dormitory were used as classrooms.
Year 1964 saw the school offering kindergarten and elementary education. The name of the school was changed to Saint Dominic School. From a thousand pupils in 1964, its population in 1966 increased which necessitated the use of the girls’ rooms as classrooms.
In 1967, Sister Inocencia Mortera took over as directress from Sister Caridad Holazo who was transferred to another mission. It was during this year that the school was changed to Dominican School, the name by which all congregation-owned schools are known in compliance with a directive of the CRMSD Chapter of 1965.
Sister Inocencia’s term of office was marked by further
improvements in the school’s academic standard and engagement in an outreach
program of providing catechetical instruction to public school children in the
neighbourhood on Sundays. Towards the end of her term in 1973, the school
erected eighteen (18) classrooms more, made possible through a bank loan. The
new wing (along Dos Castillas Street) was blessed on June 29, 1973.
Sister Lucia Micor succeeded Sister Inocencia on July 15, 1973 until 1979. During her term, a community of sisters who will manage the school solely was created. Prior to this, the school and Santa Catalina Girls’ Dormitory (now Sta. Catalina Ladies’ Residence) were managed as one. On May 5, the first Dominican School Community was founded with Sister Nieves Tendero, as Mother Superior.
From 1979 to 1982, the principal was Sister Encarnacion de los
Santos; 1982 to 1985, Sister Mary Pauline Tejero; 1985-1990, Sister Loreto
Galang; and 1990-1994, Sister Inocencia Mortera.
In 1987, the administrative building was renovated. Sister Loreto Galang, the directress then, decided to pull down the old building to pave the way towards the construction of a four-story building with a gymnasium at the top floor. It also provided adequate living quarters for the Dominican Community, an improved chapel, library, and a science laboratory.
Much have changed in the school’s physical plant. To improve the pupils’ academic performance, updated materials for the library, laboratory, audiovisual rooms, and gymnasium were purchased.
On June 1994, Sister Lorenza Sajul took over. By then,
thirty-five (35) lay teachers, nine (9) religious sisters, and twenty-one (21)
non-academic personnel ably handled the school’s population of 1,917 pupils.
To meet the demand for better education, the administration and faculty members made various changes in the school curriculum. Aware of its responsibility as an agent for change, Dominican School opted for the harder task of aiming at the emergence of a new Filipino, equipped with functional knowledge, desirable values, attitudes, habits, and skills necessary to cope and creatively participate in the improvement of the quality of life for themselves and for others.
On October 14, 1996, the cornerstone for a three-story building
was laid. The building was another way of upgrading the services offered by the
school. In July 1997, Rev. Fr. Leonardo Castro and Fr. Franklin Beltran
blessed the newly constructed building. The building now houses the school
canteen, coordinator’s office, directress’ office, and the research and
The old canteen was renovated and is presently occupied by the medical and dental personnel while the old clinic became the guidance office. The library, faculty room and the auditorium were also renovated and air-conditioned to ensure that the pupils and teachers will be more comfortable when using them. Additional personnel for the library, guidance office, canteen, and teaching staff were also hired.
At present Dominican School continues to improve its facilities, and its academic program inspired by the unique charisma of Saint Dominic and guided by their shared mission of promoting the integral formation of the youth. In 2008, it caters to students of primary and secondary levels with a population of 2,040.
Source: Dominican School Pupil Handbook, School Year 2002-2003
No copyright and trademark infringement is intended.
Pilipinas 2008: Series Mi 4026/29; Sc ---.
Designer and Graphic Artist: Rhona M. Velayo.
Design Coordinators: Sister Christina Arceo, O.P., Corazon T. Loza.
Pilipinas 2008, Mi 4026, Sc --.
The Dominican Order preserved the relics of Saint Dominic in the tomb in the basilica of San Domenico in Bologna. During WO II the relics were safeguarded. After the war, before the translation to the basilica in Bologna, Pope Pius XII, lay Dominican, authorized the Dominicans of Bologna to investigate the relics of the Founder in 1943. Because the Provincial of Lombardy not received permission to open the casket, Professor Fabio Frassetto of the University of Bologna examined the remains by X-ray. Many photographs were taken from many angles. Almost all the bones are still there after nearly eight hundred years (1221).
Doctors and anthropologists were able to study them
and give an accurate description of the skeleton and physical characteristics of
In 1946, Carlo Pini sculptured a marble bust according to anthropometric measurements of the skull as determined by Professor Fabio Frassetto.
This sculpture is preserved in the Saint Dominic's chapel
in the San Domenico in Bologna. The
X-ray film can be seen along the back wall of this chapel,
where the remains of the saint rest in the splendid Arca
di San Domenico under the cupola.
The Bolognese architect Floriano Ambrosini, replacing the old gothic chapel from 1413, to match the splendour of the other existing chapels, built the Saint Dominic's chapel. It was decorated between 1614 and 1616 by important painters of the Bolognese School, Tiarini (1577-1688), Mario Righetti, Lionello Spada (1576-1622), Mastelletta (1575-1655), culminating in the fresco on the cupola of the apse St Dominic’s Glory, a masterpiece by Reni, painted between 1613 and 1615. The Theological and The Cardinal Virtues in the niches of the apse were painted by Giovanni Todeschi between 1617 and 1631.
The profile of Saint Dominic by sister Cecilia (1243).
In 1243, as part of the process towards Dominic's canonisation,
information was gathered about him from a variety of sources. One of these was
Sister Cecilia, who at 16 was part of the first community at San Sisto, Rome,
and new Saint Dominic very well.
She gave a description of his physical appearance: "He was of middle height, his countenance beautiful with little colouring, his hair and beard very fair, and his eyes strikingly fine. A certain radiance shone from his forehead and from under his eyelashes attracting love and respect. His hands were long and beautiful, and his voice strong and sonorous. -- He was always radiant and joyful, except when moved to compassion by some misfortune of his neighbours. "
Sister Cecilia's description is proved reliable by the scientific examination. She said he was of medium height -- the measurements show that he was 1.7 metres tall. At the bottom of the reliquary, the examiners found some shreds of Saint Dominic's hair. It was exactly the colour that Cecilia had said it was.
Source: Site OPFAM, 2
Saint Dominic and the Dominican School Campus.
Pilipinas 2008, Mi 4027, Sc --.
Dominican School Logo and 50th Anniversary Logo.
Pilipinas 2008,Mi 4048, Sc --.
Dominican School Building.
Pilipinas 2008, Mi 4049, Sc --.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE