Panama city the old cathedral
A brief description.
About two miles from the center of Panama City are found the ruins of the first capital, known as Old Panama or Panama La Vieja, founded in 1519. Fragments of walls and arches stand in an open park, recalling the splendour of the Spaniard's first settlement at the Pacific Ocean.
From here expeditions were mounted to conquer the Inca Empire of South America.
All of the wealth from Peru, Chile and California flowed to Spain through Old Panama. Not surprisingly, the enormous quantities of gold attracted pirates like sharks to Panama's waters.
When Henry Morgan looted the city in 1671, Panama's governor ordered the powder magazine burned and the whole city went up in flames. The capital was moved two miles to the west, and present-day Panama City was founded in 1673. The most impressive structures remaining are the cathedral, with a massive bell-tower, and the Bishop's House.
In this cathedral were the Bishop of Panama Vincent Peraza, O.P. (1520-1526), Thomas of Berlanga, O.P. (ca. 1485-08.08.1551), and Francisco of Camara, O.P. (1616-1626).
Reconstruction of the old cathedral Nuestra Señora de la Asunción in Old Panama.
Panama 1996, Mi 1763, Sc 822.
The ruine of the old cathedral
Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
Old Panama with the old bell tower.
Panama 1997, Mi 1764, Sc 823.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE