Dominicans in Köln
Priory and church (1221-1804)
The church of Saint Andrew since 1947
A brief description.
1. Priory and church in Köln (ca 1270-1804) (source 2,p. 102/03).
The Dominicans started their preaching in a small chapel in the Stolkgasse, Köln, soon enlarged to a great church. After 1271 the choir was constructed, for which Albert the Great (1193 or 1207-15 November 1280) laid the foundation stone in 1271. In the church there was a great Cross between the church and the choir, with a splinter of Christ's cross and a thorn from the crown that Jesus was put on during the flagellation, an offering to Albert from King Luis the Saint of France (+1270).
Albert legated in his testament (12 January 1279) the biggest part of his capital for the completion of the choir. Duke John of Brabant set up a foundation in 1288 to design and make the stained-glass windows in the choir. There is a painting of John Hülmann (1) from 1624, on which the priory and church, but not from 1624, but by another hand over painted with the priory and church after the fire of`1659. (2, picture 5)
Church and priory are not existing today. (2,p. 103). On 27 September 1802
the French governor of Köln closed the Dominican church and two years later
the church with choir, a showpiece of Gothic architecture, was destroyed.
The prior at that time, Dr. Hunges, O.P., commended the relics of Albert the
Great the parish priest of the St. Andrew's church, John Arnold Giessen (5 November
1762-24 December 1831).
The silver ornamentation was stolen earlier (2,p.197). The Holy Cross' relics were also lost. During the Prussian time the priory was used as an artillery barrack and demolished in 1889. Some stained-glass windows ornated the chapter-room of the cathedral of Köln and the chapel of St. Stephan. On the now available ground the head post office was built. The street is named 'An den Dominikaner'.
2. The church of Saint Andrew: mortuary church of Albert Magnus (1804) and church of the Dominicans since 1947.
After the translation of the relics of Albert in 1803/04 to the basilica of St. Andrew from the 13th century, north-westerly of the Dom, this basilica was in 1813 a magazine for hay and straw, and from 1817 till 1833 services the protestant worship, and after that to the catholic services, (2. p. 197). Cardinal Frings committed this church after WO II to the Dominicans in 1947. The church has eight small towers around the spire and is placed on the crossing.
This church is, - I think -, to be seen on the city view of Köln(1493) by Michael Wohlgemut in Hartmann Schedel's Liber Chronicarum (Nuremberg 1493), at the left side of a stamp of the United Nations Geneva 2004, Michel 490.
3. Hartmann Schedel Liber Chronicarum (Nuremberg 1493).
Hartmann Schedel (1440-1514), a physician of Nuremberg, was the editor-in-chief; the printer was Anton Koberger, and among the designers the most famous were Michael Wohlgemut and Hanns Pleydenwurff, masters of the Nuremberg workshop where Albrecht Durer served his apprenticeship. The first edition of the Nuremberg Chronicle in July 1493 was in Latin and there was a reprint with German text in December of the same year. It is the first modern map of Germany after Cusanas (Cardinal Cusa) by Hieron. Muntzer. World map& town plans.
Schedel's library sold in 1552 to Hans Jacob Fugger. This Chronicle must have been one of the most popular of incunables, judging by the number of surviving copies. Some 800 copies of the Latin edition have been traced and 400 of the German. This is not surprising considering that this compilation of sacred and profan history was the most elaborate printed book of its time, illustrated with more than 1800 woodcuts. Among these were a number of double-page city views, a folding map of the world and another of northern and central Europe. The text is an amalgam of legend, fancy and tradition, interspersed with the occasional scientific fact or authentic piece of modern learning.
(1) Served in the St. Andrew's church in Kölnin a lateral aisle.
(2) Albertus Magnus. Ausstellung zum 700. Todestag. Historisches Archiv
der Stadt Köln (1981).
Sight of Köln with on the right of the Cathedral
the tower of the church of St. Andrew (Andreas-Kirche).
Germany (Deutsches Reich) 1924, Mi 365, Sc 338.
Germany 1930, Mi 440, Sc 387.
Kölner Weihnachtsmarkt 21.11.- 23.12.85.
In the background the contour of the church of
Germany 1985. Postmark Köln 23.12.1985.
City view of Köln.
Woudcarving by Michael Wohlgemut in Hartmann Schedel
Liber Chronicarum (1493).The church of Saint Andrew
13th century, in Köln at the left side.
United Nations Geneva 2004, Mi 490, Sc ---
Lindenstrasse 45 in Köln, see of the Provincial
of the Province Teutonia.
The three crowns (of the Holy Kings) are
the coat of arms of Köln.
Germany. Postmarks Köln 20.01.1993,
15.02.2000 and 08.07.2002.
Visit of Pope John Paul II to Germany, Köln, 1987. Meeting before church of Saint Andrew.
Vatican City 1987, KimCover PW 544.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE