the Theatine church
A brief description.
The Theatine church(Theatinerkirche), in former times named The Royal Court churchSaint Cajetan, is located diagonally opposite to the Feldherrenhall (Field Marshals' Hall) and the Hofgarten (Court Garden) on the Odeonsplatz in München.
The church's impressive yellow facade introduces a breath of Italy to München.
Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, wife of the elector Ferdinand Maria, donated this churchto the Italian Order of the Theatines in gratitude for the birth of the long-awaited heir to the throne Prince Max Emanuel on 17th July 1662.
The foundation-stone was laid 29th April 1663, but the donator,Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, did not live to see the church finished for she died 18th March 1676.
The church was built by Agostino Barelli (born 1627) in Baroque style and largely completed 1688 by the masters P. Spinelli and Enrico Zucalli (ca 1642-1724) and received finishing touches in Rococo style by the Cuvilliés, father and son, in 1768.
The church's interior is unusual for Bavarian churches. It is monumental and full of southern pathos, dominated by the white stucco works of the Italian stucco masters
Moretti, Brenni and Perti. The church's high altar, whose gable figures represent dignitaries of the House of Savoy gives further evidence of the Italian influence.
Several members of the House of Wittelsbach have been buried in the Fürstengruft (Royal Sepulchre), amongst those the Elector Ferdinand Maria, his wife Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, their son Max Emanuel, elector Karl Theodor, the Emperor Karl VII, King Max I and King Otto of Greece, as well as Prince Regent Luitpold. The cloister was built by Lorenzo Petri from Como.
Today the church's southern annex, the former monastery of the Theatines, houses the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Culture.
The Dominicans administrate this church since 1st January 1954.
Auer, Otto: Theatinerkirche. Verlag Dr C. Wolf und Sohn, München.
The Theatine church on the Odeonsplatz in München.
Equatorial Guinea 1972, Mi -- , Sc 72 201.
The Theatine church on the right.
Fujeira 1972, Mi 1057, Sc --.
The Olympic games München 1972.
church in the background:
Fujeira 1972, Mi 1116, Sc --.
The same background:
Fujeira 1972, Mi 1121, Sc --.
In the series Lernt Deutschland kennen a view
on the Odeonsplatz with on the background
the Theatine church.
Germany 1964. Post-card 1964, nr 40 302.
Front of the Theatine church in München.
83. Tagung Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chirurgie.
Germany 1969. Postmark München 12.04.1969.
On many postmarks of the post department of
found a view of the city with the churches.
The Theatine church in the middle.
125 Jahre Geologische Landesaufnahme in Bayern.
Germany 1975. Postmark 12.09.1975.
The Theatine church at the left.
78. Deutscher Philatelistentag.
Germany 1977. Postmark 11.09.1977.
On the postmark the front of the Theatine
church with the
and the south-tower 1692 with clock and
bells, after the plans
of Zuccali. Arbeitsgemeinschaft Münchner Philatelistenverein.e.V. 6. Briefmarken-Tauschtag.
Germany 1979. Postmark München 03.11.1979.
At the right the Theatine church.
Germany 1986. postmark München 18.05.1986.
On the left the Theatine church.
Germany 1994, Mi 1731, Sc 1828.
Germany 1994. Sammler-service der Post .
500 Jahre Frauenkirche. Postmark München 14.04.1994.
Germany 1996. Postal card. Stamp-day.
Germany 1997. Postal Card. Briefmarkentage 1998.
The Theatine church and the Odeonsplatz.
Germany 2003. Postmark München 06.03.2003.
The Theatine church is to be found on postage stamps of industries, societies, etc.
The Theatine church on the left. Pfanni. Gutes aus München. München 01.07.1975.
The Theatine church. Stoffe aus München. München19.10.1976.
The Theatine church on the left.
31. Bundestag des BDPh e, V. 78 Deutscher Philatelistentag. Festabend im Pschorrkeller.
TheTheatine church in München.
Mali 1972, Mi 319, Sc C150.
With overprint 100m - 200 m Borzov 2 medals d'or.
Mali 1972, Mi 364, Sc C168.
The Theatine church in München.
Niger 1972, Mi 333, Sc C189.
With overprint Football Polonge medaille d'or.
Niger 1972, Mi 350, Sc 189 c.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE