priory of Saint Dominic
A brief description.
The Magdalene Tower (right) is
the only surviving piece from the Dominican
1224 by Luke Netterville, ArchBishop of Armagh. It seems to have been a large
precinct with extensive building work. Within the precinct was a hospital
to St. Mary Magdalene. It was in the Dominican
priory that King Richard II
received the submission of the powerful O'Neill of Ulster as well as various
other chieftains. These new
subjects were then treated to feasting and pageants in Dublin. In 1399 the
Dominicans of Drogheda received a royal confirmation of the
Also in that year Pope Boniface IX granted indulgences to all who visited its church or the chapel of the Virgin Mary adjacent to it. This indulgence was renewed in 1401.
In 1467 the Earl of Desmond was interred here after his execution in Drogheda. Because of the almost constant state of warfare in Ireland the priory fell into disrepair. So in 1468 a Parliament held in Drogheda granted the priory an annuity of twenty marks for the repair and maintenance of the house.
St. Mary Magdalen's (Dominican Church), situated on Dominic Street.
This is where the present day Dominican
inhabitants of Drogheda reside. The church is of a Victorian Gothic design.
After the Reformation the Dominicans of Drogheda disappeared for a while but appeared again in the Drogheda records in the 1620s but kept a low profile.
Only after Cromwell died is there evidence of a Dominican priory again. They lived in a thatched house in Mill Lane which they abandoned in 1786 when they bought a shop and yard in what was then called Linenhall lane.
Beside the shop a long narrow passage led to the new chapel at the
back, well hidden from the street too avoid public notice. The site of that
Linenhall chapel is precisely that of the present priory today.
Medieval view of Drogheda 1194-1994, with the Magdalene Tower, the only surviving piece from the Dominican priory established ca. 1224 by Luke Netterville, ArchBishop of Armagh. On the right the Dominican church St. Mary Magdalene of the present Dominican priory today.
Ireland 1994, Mi 872, Sc 939.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE