priory and church of Saint Nicholas
A brief description.
For the early history of the Dominicans in Poland, click here.
The town is Hrubieszˇw is situated on the River Huczwa, at the border-line of Grzęda Horodelska and the Hrubieszowska Valley. It is the most easterly town in Poland. Until 1802 the settlement was named Rubieszˇw. It was set up on the old route from Lublin to Ruthenia. Perhaps a medieval city that was part of Grody Czerwieńskie existed here. The first reference to the settlement dates from 1255. In 1400 King Władysław Jagiełło granted Hrubieszˇw civic rights.
In the 15th century the city became the headquarters of the Starosty of the Crown land and Chełmian diocese. Most probably, by the end of the 14th century a wooden castle had been erected here as it was Starostĺs seat and survived until 1661.
King Aleksander Jagiellończyk re-established the city in 1502 following the Magdeburg rights. In the the mid-16th century the city flourished; however, Tartar and Cossack raids, coupled with fires in the 17th century, contributed to the downfall of the city.
Hrubieszˇw was a multicultural settlement where Poles, Ruthenians and - from the 15th century - Jews lived side by side. In 1800 the city was bought by Stanisław Staszic who in 1816 set up his foundation of Agricultural Association of Hrubieszˇw (Towarzystwo Rolnicze Hrubieszowskie), which led to fresh development in the city.
During the occupation Ukrainian nationalists co-operated with Nazis. In the vicinity of Hrubieszˇw the resistance movement (the Association of Armed Struggle, the Home Army, the Secret Polish Army and the Service for Polandĺs Victory) was actively operating here.
Famous people like Bolesław Prus, Bolesław Leśmian and Professor Wiktor Zin are closely connected with the city
Dominicans in Hrubieszˇw
The Domincians came to Hrubieszˇw, south of Lublin, in 1416.
church of Saint Nicholas (sw. Mikolaja) and the Dominican priory (1736-1766)
were founded by Jˇzef Kuropatnicki, castellan of Biecz, and his wife Zuzanna of
the Kurdwanowscy family. It replaced a former priory. The church has a regency
style altar, and is the sanctuary of Sokalska Mother of God, with its miraculous
picture of Sokalska Mother of God.
The Dominicans left Hrubieszˇw and departed to Krasnobr˛d in 1821.
: Magister Bogdan Michalak
: Frans Wols
priory of the Dominicans houses from 1810
a College and from 1919 the gymnasium.
In the background the church of Saint Nicholas.
Poland 1971. Postmark Hrubieszˇw 20.06.1971.
the left the church, built by the Dominicans
from 1726 till 1766, dedicated to Saint Nicholas
Poland 2000. Postal card 6th centenary of Hrubieszˇw
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE