For the early history of the Dominicans in Poland, click here.
A brief description.
Tczew is a major
river port, with links to Gdansk. A Pomeranian
fortress was built on the site in 1252.
It was annexed to Poland in 1282, and the duke of Piomorze, Mszcju II gave a
church to the Dominicans. By the occupation by the Teutonic Knights in 1308 the
church vanished into smoke, but was rebuilt with old gothic elements in the 14th
century. Seized by Prussia in 1772, Tczew was returned to Poland in 1919.
The rebuilt Dominican church in Tczew,14th century.
Poland 1961, Mi 1228, Sc 952a.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE