Mercado de Santa Caterina
A brief description.
The 'Mercado de Santa Caterina' (market of
Saint Catherine of Siena) was the
first covered market in Barcelona. The construction started in 1844 and the
opening was in 1848.
The Mercado was situated nearby the (former) monastery of Santa Catalina, therefore the name.
This market has been renewed recently (2001) by the Catalan architect Enric Miralles Moya (Ribera 1955 – Barcelona July 3, 2000), and Benedetta Tagliabue (Milano 1963).
Enric Miralles graduated from the School of Architecture of Barcelona (ETSAB) in 1978. After establishing his reputation with a number of collaborations with his first wife Carme Pinós, the couple separated in 1991. He later married fellow Italian architect Benedetta Tagliabue (Milano 1963), and the two practiced together as EMBT Architects.
The most important projects: the Scottish Parliament Building in Edinburgh and the multi-storeyed building for the Spanish gas company Gas Natural in Barcelona, were only finished after Enric Miralles' death as a result of a brain tumour on 3 July 2000.
The Market Hall Santa Caterina was renowned from 1997 to 2001. The roof has got beautiful colours. The hundred or so market stalls with a big choice of all kind of food, housed in this three-level structure, close to the city's medieval cathedral, dedicated to Saint Eulalia, the Lusitanian martyr, are covered with a great, wave-like roof adorned with a magic carpet of 325,000 colourful ceramic tiles lifted on writhing, and intertwining, steel columns.
Internet: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Enric Miralles, Benedetta Tagliabue.
Mercado de Santa Caterina (1848) renewed by the Catalan architect
Enric Miralles Moya (1955-3 July 2000) and he Italian architect
Benedetta Tagliabue (Milano 1963), 1997-2001.
Spain 2007, Mi 4218, Sc - .
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE