church of Saint Paul (San Pablo)
A brief description.
Palencia, central Spain, in Castile-León, was occupied by the Romans
sacked in the 6th century by the Visigoths.
It was recovered from the Moors in the 10th century and was in the12th and 13th century a favourite residence of the Kings of León.
The first university in Spain was founded there in 1212 or 1214, but was removed to Salamanca in 1238.
775th Anniversary of the foundation of the church 1219-1994.
The church of Saint Paul in Palencia has three naves, and was founded in 1219. It was a part of the Dominican priory. On the wall of the apse the coat of arms of
At the left side the chapel of the Dean Zapa, and on the altar the altarpiece on which not the Holy Virgin but Mother Anna mourns the loss of Jesus, her grandson.
In the presbytery the tombs of the margraves of Poza, attributed to Pedro Berruguete (ca. 1450-1504).
The panels on the high altar, wood engraving, by an anonymous artist, date from the 16th century.
Sources: Internet and others.
The panels, 16th century, of the high altar in
the church of Saint Paul (San Pablo) in Palencia.
Aitutaki 1984, Mi 544-547, Bl 51-54; Sc 356-359,
36 c: Annunciatio; 48 c Nativity
60 c : Epiphany
96 c : Flight to Egypt
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE