Francis of Burgoa
A short biography.
Francisco de Burgoa, born at Oaxaca July1604; entered the
Dominican Order 2 August, 1620, received the priesthood in 1627, and soon became
master in theology. He was curate of several Indian parishes
and his knowledge of the Indian languages, the Zapotec and Mixteco, is stated to
have been very thorough.
On 8 Mai 1649 he became Provincial of the Province of San Hipólito and took part
in the chapter general of his order at Rome,1656.
Returning to Mexico with the title of vicar-general, a member of the Inquisition of Spain, and Commissary and Inspector of Libraries of New Spain (Mexico), he again became Provincial of Oaxaca in 1662.
He was interested in several ecclesiastical foundations and improvements, and highly respected at the time of his death in 1681.
The two historical and geographical works through which he is best known are the "Palestra histórica, ó Historia de la Provincia de San Hipólito de Oaxaca, de la Orden de Predicadores" (Mexico, 1670), and the "Descripción geográfica de la America setentrional" etc. (Mexico, 1674). He published a number of sermons and also wrote "Itinerario de Oaxaca á Roma y de Roma á Oaxaca".
De Burgoa's name is shined on the plaque of the historians of Oaxaca,
unveiled in remembrance of the 465th year of the foundation of
Anequera (Oaxaca) by Emperor Charles V, on 25 April 1997.
In the Museum also extensive Dominican archives.
The monastic garden is now the ethno-botanical garden of Oaxaca.
The entire complex of the Dominican priory
in the city Oaxaca, built 1575-1663.
Mexico 1998, Mi 2712, Sc 1566a.
The portals and the cloister of the complex of the Dominican
priory in the city Oaxaca.
Mexico 1998, Mi 2709, Sc 1566b.
Library of Francisco de Burgoa, O.P. He was born
in the city Oaxaca, July1604, joined the Dominican order in Oaxaca on 2nd August 1620 and received the priesthood
in 1627. He wrote many books, known as Geográfica
Descriptión and Palestra Historial in 1662.
Mexico 1998, Mi 2710, Sc 1566c.
The monastic garden of the priory is now the ethno-botanical garden of Oaxaca.
Mexico 1998, Mi 2711, Sc 1566d.
Return to REGISTER A Return to HOMEPAGE