PHILATELY OF SAINT DOMINIC'S ORDER. 1216. FOUNDED AS ORDER OF PREACHERS.


Only for personal study and documentation.

 

Laudare    Benedicere
Praedicare


 


   REGISTER

A

PERSONS

========

REGISTER

 B

BUILDINGS


Chapels
Churches
Colleges
Monasteries
Priories
Universities

 

 

 
 Saint  Dominic
========
 Update
January 2010
 

 

Dominic,- Spanish Domingo de Guzmān -, was born Caleruega, Castile ca. 1174. He studied at Palencia, and joined the canonsregulars, a religious community attached to the cathedral of the diocese of Osma, ca. 1197/98. In 1203, Diego, Bishop of Osma, was sent on a royal mission to North Germany, or 'Marken', and took Dominic with him. In the South of France they met the Albigensian heretics.
On the return road of their second mission to the 'Marken', Diego and Dominic visited Pope Innocent III. They would dedicate themselves to the preaching against the heretics, but the Pope refused this plan. Returning to Osma, they met in Montpellier the Cistercians preachers, Legates of the Pope,
depressed at the failure of their mission. They consulted Diego and Dominic, who reasoned that the heretics would be regained only by an austerity equal to their own; the preachers must tramp the roads barefoot and in poverty.After the murder of he Papal Legate, Peter de Castelnau,1208, the Pope called upon a crusade. Meanwhile, the civil war dragged on until Simon's victory at Muret on 12 September 1213. April 1214, Dominic and his group received the warrant to preach from Legate Petrus de Benevent. Then the Catholic party entered Toulouse, Dominic and his friends were welcomed by Bishop Foulques (Fulco). He established them as "diocesan preachers' in
June or July 1215. In the spring of 1216 Dominic met with his 16 companions, for the 'capitulum fundationis' (chapter of foundation). They adopted the rule of Saint Augustin, as well as a set of consuetudines ("customs"). Pope Honorius III gave Dominic formal sanction of his order by his bull 'Religiosam vitam' of 22 December 1216, and by his bull of 21 January 1217 the name 'Preachers'. Dominic died at Bologna, 6 August 1221, and was buried in the church of the Dominican priory. He was canonized on 3 July 1234
.
                      

The history of this collection started in 1974 when the Dominicans Servatius P. Wolfs (12.3.1914-19.4.1991), Leopold van Nueten (23.10.1923-2.7.1991) and Peter Wols (26.2.1928) brought their stamps and documentation together. S.P. Wolfs published his book 'Dominicanen en hun geschiedenis op postzegels' in 1982 with his additions in Dominicaans Leven (Belgium) till 1989.
Peter Wols published 6 tomes 'Dominicus en zijn volgelingen op postzegels, postale stukken en in stempels' (1994-2002). On the  site 'Philately of Saint Dominic's Order' you find a new version of whole the material, known till 1 July 2009. With thanks to Carlos Spoor, O.P. for the translation, all the collectors for their tips and additions, and Tobias Renique as computer expert. 

Thanks to the Schwaneberger Verlag in München for the kindly permission to use the numbers of their catalogues. The Scott numbers are from Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogues 2002, published by Scott Publishing Co.911 Vandemark Road, Sidney, OH