University of San Marcos, founded 22.12.1539.
A brief description.
foundation of the Dominican Province St. John Baptist in Peru, on 28th December
1539, Thomas of Saint Martin,
O.P. (07.03.1482-09.03.1554) was the provincial. At the Provincial Council of
6th May 1648 the members of the council proposed the foundation of a Studium Generale in the priory
of Nuestra Seņora del
Rosario in Lima.
This idea was realized in the Universidad Mayor de San Marcos with consent of the King of Spain on 12th May 1551 and by the bulla of Pope Pius V of 25th July 1571. The university was located in the priory till 1577, with the first president Thomas de San Martin, O.P.
Source: Perca, O.P., Guillermo Alvarez: Historia de la Orden Dominicana en el Peru Siglos XVI-XVII, p. 131-144.
of San Marcos in Lima, founded by Thomas
of San Martin on 12th May 1551, was located in the priory
Nuestra Seņora del Rosario till 1577.
Stamp honouring the 4th centenary.
Peru 1951, Mi
508, Sc C111.
The first arms
of the University of San Marco in 1571 till 1725
with the title Academia beate Mariae de Rosario regum in Peru.
The second arms from 1735 with the text Academia S.Marci
urbis regum in Peru.
Peru 1951, Mi 512, Sc C114.
of Peruvian postage stamps 1857-1957. Shield of Lima
ontaining stamps, among others Peru 1951, Mi 508, Sc C110 on the
fourth linie, number 4: the priory of Nuestra Seņora del Rosario.
Peru 1957, Mi 564, Sc C140.
450th Anniversary of the
University of San Marcos in Lima, founded
by Thomas of San Martin on 12th May 1551, was located in the priory
Nuestra Seņora del Rosario in Lima till 1577.
On this stamps
the second arms of 1735 with tree crowns
and a star,
Saint Marc and the lion, two pillars in the see with the banderol
Plus Ultra (devise of Charles V), and the text Academia S.
Marci urbis regum in Peru.
Peru 2001, Mi 1780, Sc 1297.
University of San Marcos in Lima, founded by
Thomas of San Martin on 12th May 1551, and located in the priory Nuestra Seņora del Rosario in Lima till 1577.
Spain 1979, Mi 2437, Sc 2173. Maximum card.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE