Wulfing von Stubenberg
Bishop of Bamberg
1304 - 1318 - + 1319
History of the See of Bamberg, Germany.
At 1 November
1007 a synod was held in Frankfurt. Eight archbishops and twenty-seven bishops
were present at the synod as well as the East Frankish King Henry II.
Henry II intended to create a new diocese that would aid in the final conquest of paganism in the area around Bamberg. But the territory of the Wends on the upper Main, the Wiesent, and the Aisch had belonged to the Diocese of Würzburg since the organization of the Middle German bishoprics by St. Boniface, so that no new diocese could be erected without the consent of the occupant of that see.
The bishop of Würzburg raised no objection to parting with some of his territory, especially as the king promised to have Würzburg raised to an archbishopric and to give him an equivalent in Meiningen. The consent of Pope John XVII was obtained for this arrangement, but the elevation of Würzburg to an archbishopric proved impracticable, and its bishop withdrew his consent.
At the synod Henry obtained permission for the foundation of the diocese of Bamberg from parts of the dioceses of Würzburg and Eichstätt. Bamberg was made directly subordinate to Rome. It was also decided that Eberhard, the king's chancellor, would be ordained by the archbishop of Mainz, Willigis, to be the head of the new border area diocese from 1007 till 1040.
The new diocese had expensive gifts at the synod confirmed by documents, in order to place it on a solid foundation. Henry wanted the celebrated monkish rigour and studiousness of the Hildesheim cathedral chapter - Henry himself was educated there - linked together with the churches under his control, including his favourite diocese of Bamberg.
The Bishops of Bamberg after 1040.
The next seven
bishops were named by the Emperors, after which free canonical election was the
rule. Eberhard's immediate successor, Suidger of Morsleben, became pope in 1046
as Clement II.
He was the only pope to be interred north of the Alps in the Bamberg cathedral. In the thirteenth century the diocese gradually became a territorial principality, and its bishops took secular precedence next after the archbishops; Bishop Henry I was the first prince-bishop.
Bishop Wulfing von Stubenberg and his foundations.
In this period the Dominican Wulfing von Stubenberg, member of the priory of Friesach, was appointed by the Pope the Bishop of Bamberg (1304-1318 - +1319). He founded in Bamberg a Dominican priory and the monastery ‘Holy Grave’ of the Dominican nuns. (1)
priory in Bamberg
1304 - 1806
A brief history.
Wulfing von Stubenberg invited the Dominicans to Bamberg in 1304. They settled near the Chapel of Saint Nicholas on the present Maximilian-square. In 1310 the Order was granted to build a priory.
The church was built before 1400, and was consecrated by Suffragan Bishop Johann von Heldritt on 5 November 1400. His tomb (1416) is still in the church. . In the 18th century the church was changed in Baroque style.
The cloister was built during the reign of Prince Bishop Georg I von Schaumberg (1459-1475). His weapon adorns a keystone. 42 gravestones of deceased Dominicans are preserved in the cloister.
The refectory 1730.
The refectory was built in 1730 after a design possibly of Balthasar Neumanns, who was asked by Prince Bishop Friedrich Karl von Schönborn. The construction supervisor was Justus Heinrich Dientzenhofer. The foundation stone was laid in 1733. The building was completed in 1743 with Baroque decoration by Franz Jakob Vogel and ceiling decorations by Johann Jacob Gebhardt.
After the secularization of the priories the Dominicans were allowed to stay till 1806. Then the ownership of buildings was transferred to the military authorities end April 1806. So there were barracks, and a military hospital for the French troops, and so on till 1912.
After WO I a part of the priory was sold to the family Trum, owner of the Schlenkerla, who restored the place with Gothic vaulted arches as a brewery bar of ‘Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier’.
In 1947 the archbishop’s See a made a treaty with the Bavarian State , put the church at the Bamberger Symphoniker disposal, and opened the church as Culture Place on 17 June 1950. Today the church is the auditorium of the University Bamberg.
The buildings of the priory were converted (1979-1982), and houses now the town offices and the Bavarian State service for building policy.
The library was restored in 1987; to see many ceiling frescoes with an allegory of the ‘Theologia Sacra’ with Saint Thomas Aquinas. Many works of art of the church are to see in the parish church of Hollfeld. The organ-case adorns the Evangelican-Lutherian church of Heiligenstadt in Oberfranken.
Literatur Die Kunstdenkmäler von Bayern Band VI/1, Seite 390 ff.,
monastery of the ‘Holy Grave’ in Bamberg.
after 1314? - 1803
A brief history.
According to the convent legend, this foundation dates to a defilement of the heavenly host in 1314; a school child stole a consecrated host and buried it in a field. On the spot of the burial, miracles began to appear. A chapel, ‘zum Heilig-Grab’ (Holy Grave) was established. The Dominican Wulfing von Stubenberg, Bishop of Bamberg (1304-1318), founded a monastery (2). An other story tells that the founder was Franz Münzmeister, a Bamberg patrician, in memorial (1352) of his pilgrimage to Palestine.
He established a monastery next to the church, into which Dominican nuns moved in 1356.
The monastery existed till 1803. In 1923 the complex was resorted. Only the medieval church of Heilig-Grab remains. The other buildings of the monastery are new. On Sept. 3, 1926 the Dominican nuns from Saint Ursula in Augsburg moved into the monastery. The convent appears to have held a substantial number of manuscripts and books. In this monastery lived the highly blessing sister Columba.
(1) Walz, A.: Dominikaner und Domimikanerinnen in Süddeutschland (1225-1966). Meitingen-Freisung, Kyrios-Verlag 1967, S. 41.
(2) Wilms, P. Hieronymus. Geschichte der deutschen Dominkanerinnen 1206-1916, 38.
Another Bishop in this period is the Dominican Heinrich II von Sternberg (1324-1328).
bishop, George III of Limpurg (1505-22), was inclined toward the Reformation,
which caused a violent social outbreak under his successor Weigand von Redwitz
(1522-56), and the city suffered severely in the Margraves' War (1552-54), as
well as in the Thirty Years' War, when it was placed under the jurisdiction of
Bernard, the new Duke of Franconia.
In this period the Dominican Petrus Rauh was appointed the Auxiliary Bishop of Bamberg and Titular Bishop of Athira on 22 August 1546. He died as Auxiliary Bishop of Bamberg on 2 November 1558.
The Peace of Westphalia 1648.
At the Peace of Westphalia (1648), the bishops recovered their possessions; but these were overrun by the French revolutionary armies, and in 1802 annexed to Bavaria. From 1808 to 1817 the diocese was vacant; but by the Bavarian Concordat of the latter year it was made an archbishopric, with Würzburg, Speyer, and Eichstädt as suffragan sees.
The most important ecclesiastical building of the diocese of Bamberg is the cathedral. The edifice erected by the Emperor Henry II, the Saint, was destroyed by fire in 1081; the new cathedral, built by St. Otto of Bamberg, was consecrated in 1111, and in the thirteenth century received its present late-Romenesque form.
It is about 309 feet long, 92 feet broad, 85 feet high, and the four towers are each about 266 feet high. Among the finest of its monuments is that to the Emperor Henry II and his Empress Kunigunde, considered the masterpiece of the sculptor Tilman Riemenschneider.
Germany 1984. Postal card Mi n 12/177.
The cathdral at the left.
Source: The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
Retrieved September 9, 2008.
Germany 1987. Postal card Mi r 14/207.
Return to REGISTER A Return to HOMEPAGE