Miguel of Benavides
ca. 1550-25.07.1615

A brief history of the arrival of the Dominicans on the Philippines.
A brief biography.

Miguel de Benavides was born ca 1550 in Varrión de los Condes (Palencia) and joined the Dominican Order in the priory San Pablo of Valladolid 1570. He studied at the Colegio de San Gregorio in Valladolid, received the priesthood and was lector in his priory. After the arrival in Manila of the Augustinians (1565), Franciscans (24.6. 1577) and Jesuits (1581), Miguel of Benavides sailed with the first band of Dominican missionaries in 1586 from Spain to Veracruz and reached the Philippines 15 July 1587

Bishop Domingo de Salazar, O.P., the first Bishop of the See of Manila (1578),
asked him and other Dominicans to take the pastoral care of the Chinese People in Manila. They built the hospital of San Gabriel for them.

1590 de Benavides visited China and in 1591 he accompanied Bishop Dominic of Salazar to Spain, who pleads the cause of the Filipinos before the King. De Salazar was nominated ArchBishop of Manila, with suffragan sees at Cebu, Nueva cáceres, and Nueva Segovia (Vigan). To these were added the Diocese of Jaro, in 1865, and four other dioceses, in 1902.

Salazar died at Madrid, 4 Dec.1594, before receiving the Bulls of his appointment from the Pope. The first ArchBishop to reach Manila was the Franciscan, Ignacio de Santibañez. He took possession of his see in 1598, but died three months later.

After three
years Miguel de Benavides, O.P. the first Bishop of Nueva Segovia in Northern Luzon. was appointed on 23.2.1601 the ArchBishop of Manila.

He was the founder of the Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Santisimo Rosario, later renamed Colegio de Santo Tomás in memory of the Dominican theologian, Thomas Aquinas.

Miguel de Benavides died 26 July 1605.





Miguel de Benavides, O.P., since  23.2.1601 the ArchBishop
of Manila
.in conference with his executors Bernardo de Santa Catalina, O.P. and Baltasar Fort, O.P. about the foundation of a college in Manila.
In the background the front of the university building.


Philippines 1987, Mi 1819, Sc 1894.




    Return to   REGISTER A            Return to   HOMEPAGE