On 22 July 1227 the sovereigns and cities of North-Germany defeated the Danish King Waldemar in the battle of Bornhöved. The citizens of Lübeck vowed Mary Magdalen, patron of the victory-day, to found a cloister as thanksgiving. It was built north of the city, near the only bridge between Wakenitz and Trave, on the open land, where the castle was of the sovereign. The people named the cloister "Castle priory', Burgkloster.
In 1229 the cloister was assigned to the Dominicans, but a great town-fire destroyed the priory and church in 1276.
All was rebuilt and when the Burgkirche was consecrated in 1319, it became a monument of the Gothic in North Germany.
After the Reformation and the closing of the priory in 1530, the space was rebuilt as a home for poor people.
The church was used for the services of the Evangelical Church. In 1817 the vault of the church came down, and the nave and later the choir of the church were broke down. The stained-glass windows were used for the church of Our Lady in Lübeck and many works of art were preserved in the museum 'the St. Ann monastery'. During the bombing in 1942 many objects were lost.
In 1896 the priory was inserted into the new estate of the Justice Department till 1962, and some parts are used for social work. Dr John Meissner launched in 1976 a recovery plan, which was carried out from 1981, and is finished now.
On the east side of the chapter room, there is a Crucifixion from the 14th century. In the summer refectory is a fresco of the 13e century. The consoles of the vault ribs are decorated with scenes of the Passion of Christ from the 15e century made in the workshop of master Johann Junge from Lübeck.
Postmark of Lübeck with on the console of the vault rib 'Christ for Pilatus', by master Johann Junge from Lübeck, 15th century.
Germany Lübeck 1989, postmark 9/10 September 1989.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE