monastery of Saint Magdalen
A brief description.
The members of certain religious communities of penitent women who desired to reform their lives are named Magdalens or White Ladies from the colour of their garb. Rudolph of Worms is the traditional founder of the Magdalens in Germany (Mon. Germ. Script., XVII, 234), where they were in existence early in the thirteenth century, as attested by Bulls of Gregory IX and Innocent IV (1243-54), granting them important privileges.
Among the earliest foundations in Germany were those at Naumburg-on-the Queis (1217), and Speyer (1226). Gregory IX, in a letter to Rudolph, prescribed for the penitents the Rule of St. Augustine, which was adopted by most of the Magdalens, though many of the German houses later affiliated themselves to the Franciscan or Dominican Orders. Institutions of Magdalens still exist, e.g. at Lauban (founded 1320) and Studenz, for the care of the sick and old. Few of the German priories survived the Reformation.
The St.Magdalen's monastery of the Dominican nuns in Speyer is built in 1228. Details of the baroque chapel are brought over to the church which was consecrated in 1708.
Entrance of the monastery of Saint Magdalen (1228) of
the Dominican nuns in Speyer. Edith Stein (20.10.1891-9.8.1942) lived in this monastery during her time as a
teacher at the Dominican girls’ school (Easter 1923-
26 March 1931).
Germany 1976. Postcard.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE