priory and church of Saint Mary's Annunciation
For the early history of the Dominicans in Poland, click here.
A brief description.
Przemyśl is the key to the Przemyśl Gate, an area connecting mountainous and lowland regions, with easy communication and fertile soil. Important trade routes passed through Przemyśl and ensured the city's importance.
The city appears to have been founded as early as the 8th century. Archaeological remains testify to the presence of the Greek Catholic/Greek Orthodox presence in the city as early as the 9th century. The Przemyśl area then became a site of contention between Poland, Ruthenia and Hungary at least since the 9th century.
Between 11th and 12th century the city was a capital of one of the Ruthenian principalities. It became part of the Polish kingdom in the 2nd half of the 13th century. Around this time it obtained Magdeburg law city rights, confirmed in 1389 by Wladyslaw Jagiello.
The city prospered as an important trade centre during the Renaissance period. The population consisted of a great number of nationalities, including Poles, Ruthenians, Jews, Germans, Czechs and Armenians.
The prosperity came to an end in the middle of the 17th century, due to wartime destruction during the Deluge and general decline of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at this time. This decline lasted for over a hundred years and only at the end of the 18th century the city's population recovered former levels. In 1772, as a consequence of the First Partition of Poland, Przemyśl became part of the Austrian empire. The following history of this city see Wikipedia.
In this town the Dominicans built a priory with church, dedicated to Mary's Annunciation. Their church was destroyed in the 17th century.
On this engraving of the city of Przemyśl with number
1. Hospital of Saint Rochus. 2. Franciscan church
of Mary Magdalen. 3. Town-hall. 4. Saint Peter 's
church of the Jesuits. 5. Dominican church.
6. Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist.15th and 18th century. 7.The Castle.
Poland 1961, postal card.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE