priory and church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
For the military and spiritual conquest of Mexico, click here.
A brief description.
When the Dominicans moved from Yanhuitlan to Teposcolula in 1538 , they built the priory of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, and introduced highly profitable silk raising, exploited salt mining and developed cochineal dye production.
The church of the 16th century is perhaps as a result of an earthquake damage, extensively altered in the 18th century with a cruciform plan and domed east end.
Sadly, the celebrated retablo by Simón Pereyns and Andrés de la Concha, completed in 1581 for the princely sum of 4300 pesos, has vanished, although seven crudely overpainted but still imposing wooden saints in the priory may belong to the lost altarpiece.
The priory with a open chapel has a confined, medieval ambience. Beside the portería is the curious little chapel of Saint Gertrude.
Several large 18th century paintings fill the bays of the cloister, illustrated scenes from the life of Saint Dominic. The sentimental Birth and Baptism of Saint Dominic is crowed with figures and anecdotal incident in Baroque fashion. In another panel, Saint Dominic receives the Rosary from the Virgin, as well as a stream of milk from her breast.
Source: Perry, Richard, D.: Mexico’s Fortress Monasteries. Espadaña Press, Santa Barbara, California 1992. ISBN 0-9620811-1-6., p.197-201.
Sight on the priory and church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
in Teposcolula, 1538.
Since 1998 the Philatelic Museum.
Mexico 1998, Mi 2704, Sc 2084.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE