South America Argentina
Chapel of Saint Rose of Lima
For a brief history of Argentina and the Dominicans, click here.
In Quechua language Purmamarca means "town of the lion" and in Aimara language means "town of virginal earth". Purmamarca rises 2275 metres above the sea level and is encircled by the River Purmamarca in the north and by hillocks, forming a canyon, in the south. As it is placed at the base of the Cerro de los Siete Colores, the place has a special charm. Purmamarca, one of the first colonial towns in the area, with adobe buildings of cardon roofs and mud tiles, was designed around the Main Church from 1648 consecrated as Santa Rosa de Lima, which has currently been declared a National Monument, since it has a particular architecture as well as valuable paintings and images from Cuzco inside.
Pre-Hispanic traditions prevailed, especially in celebrations. The cult of the Pachamama (Mother Earth), as well as some other rituals, still exists in Purmamarca. Music, played with typical instruments, is very important in this region. One of the most wonderful marvels of the area is in Purmamarca: The Cerro de los Siete Colores ("Hill of the Seven Colours") that has sedimentary rocks of different colours - ochre, red, purple- and is placed behind the city in the Canyon of Purmamarca, a canyon that meets the Canyon of Humahuaca.
The United Nations has taken notice, declaring Jujuy's Quebrada de Humahuaca -- the 126 km of multi-coloured mountains, the villages of Purmamarca, Tilcara and Humahuaca, its pre-Hispanic ruins, chapels and houses -- a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage since July 2003. Sources: internet.
Chapel of Saint Rose of Lima in Purmamarca,
built in 1648.
On the stamp also the carnival procession.
Argentina 2004, Mi 2878, Sc --.
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE