Dominicans in Poland
The Dominicans were introduced into Poland by the Bishop of Cracow, Iwo Odrowacz (1223).
As an order intended to combat heresy, however, they were of no great importance in Poland, for the reason that most of them were Germans who did not understand the Polish character. As a result their missionary work was not very successful.
The period of the Reformation, 16th century, was unfavourable to the further development of the Dominican houses, and later, when the counter-Reformation began, not Dominican but Jesuit houses were founded expressly to combat the Reformation.
The Polish province of the order, in the year 1730, had 43 priories for men and 10 monasteries for women; the Russian province, 69 and 3, the province of Lithuania numbered 38 priories and 4 so-called residences
In the philately of Poland there are issues of churches, monasteries and priories
of the Dominican Order, so in:
Chelmno (German Kulmhof), Cieszyn (German Teschen), Elblag, Gdansk, Gródek, Hrubieszów, Janów Lubelski, Jaroslaw, Klodzko (German Glatz), Kraków (English Cracow), Lublin, Lwów (Lemberg or Lviv), Opole (German Opplen), Piotrków Trybunalski, Plocka, Poznań, Przemyśl (German Prömsel), Sandomierz, Slupsk (German Stolp), Tarnobrzeg, Tczew (German Dirschau), Torún (German Thorn), Warszawa (English Warsaw,German Warschau), Wroclaw (German Breslau).
With many thanks to Magister Bogdan Michalak, Poznań, for the items and their documentation. Thanks also to Frans Wols (NL).
Return to REGISTER B Return to HOMEPAGE